Long weekends always present a special challenge for us when it comes to snack preparation. With 2 teenagers perennially hungry and yet asking for something different all the time, we often find ourselves running out of ideas. Last weekend however, we came up with some fresh and healthy snack options after receiving a special gift pack from Slord Development Corporation, makers of Uni-Pak Mackerel and Sardines.
Most parents will not immediately think of canned mackerel as a snack treat and I was one of them. It was actually my children who asked me to come up with something enjoyable to eat using the Uni-Pak Mackerel. And so my husband and I thought to ourselves, why not. So for the 3 days of the long weekend, they had a taste of simple but healthy satisfying snack treats using Uni-Pak Mackerel in Natural Oil..
Snacks Galore with Uni-Pak Mackerel
We started off with the basic canned mackerel sauteed in garlic, onion, and tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. From there we prepared several snack options by introducing added variants in flavor and presentation. The idea is to have something ready in our ref and pantry from which our children can whip up their own snack as they prefer it. In so doing, we are hoping that we can instill in them the creativity and sense of responsibility that they need to have in their journey to adulthood.
Uni-Pak Mackerel Dip/Spread
- Add chili flakes to sauteed mackerel.
- Spread on baguette slices or dip thinly sliced cucumber slices.
- Top with toasted minced garlic if desired.
Uni-Pak Mackerel Stuffed Tomatoes
- Gently scoop out contents of tomatoes and set aside skin.
- Add scooped out tomatoes to sauteed mackerel and stuff tomato skin.
- Top with strips of mozzarella cheese and bake for about 15 minutes.
The pork version of this recipe has been a favorite of the family for some time now.
Uni-Pak Mackerel Tacos
- Add mixed vegetables to sauteed mackerel.
- Put a base of bacon spread before putting in enough mackerel filling in taco shells.
- Garnish with lettuce and shredded cheese.
Health Benefits of Canned Fish
Fish has long been perceived to be a healthier option than most meats. However it’s high cost and difficulty in preparation often serve as a hindrance for most families to enjoy it more. Fortunately, canned fish like Uni-Pak Mackerel is packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids aside from being a natural source of vitamin D.
It can be difficult to ensure that our kids eat healthily without us looking. One surefire way to lead them to it is to make healthy food options readily available at home. That way, they don’t have to settle for unhealthy expensive options outside the home.
Hindi basta nakasanayan the best na yan kaya basta Mackerel dapat tatak Unipak.
Uni-Pack Raffle and Give-away
To give my readers a chance to sample the taste of goodness of Uni-Pak Mackerel, I will be choosing one winner of a gift pack from Uni-Pak. Just follow these steps to join:
- Like the Teresay FB Page and Unipak Mackerel on FB.
- Share and Comment on this post once you are done liking. Do not forget to use the hashtags #tatakunipak, #paknapak and #unipak in sharing.
- Tag Teresay and Unipak Mackerel FB page when sharing.
The lucky winner will be announced on July 3, 2017 who can expect to have the gift sent to him/her. Entries accepted up to 12 midnight of July 2, 2017.
Latest posts by Teresa Martinez (see all)
- A Weekend of Healthy Snacks Using Uni-Pak Mackerel - June 26, 2017
- 50 Years of Repertory Philippines: A Musical Gala - June 14, 2017
- The Search for the Best Father’s Day Gift - June 12, 2017